Alimony Lawyers in Tennessee Assisting with Spousal Support Matters
Dedicated Kingsport spousal support lawyer fights for your rights
Alimony — today more commonly called spousal support — is one of the most important components of a divorce. In the state of Tennessee, spousal support is a fairly complicated matter, as Tennessee alimony laws cover four separate types of alimony. Therefore, if you are getting divorced in Kingsport, you need an alimony lawyer who is knowledgeable. Stephen L. Gilly, who has been navigating Tennessee divorce laws for 26 years, has the knowledge you need.
Changes in alimony law in Tennessee
There are four separate types of alimony in Tennessee:
- Alimony in futuro (periodic alimony) — Designed to help the receiving spouse maintain a lifestyle close to the one he or she had during marriage
- Rehabilitative alimony — Designed to help the receiving spouse return to school to increase his or her earning capacity and become more independent
- Alimony in solido (lump sum alimony) — Which allows one spouse to pay money over time to make up for an imbalance in property division
- Transitional alimony — A new type of alimony awarded when rehabilitation is not necessary, but the court considers the disadvantaged spouse in need of help adjusting to his or her new economic situation
The Kingsport alimony lawyers at The Law Firm of Gilly, Hill and Schaefer can give you the advice you need to choose the appropriate kind of spousal support.
Many factors are involved in spousal support
Factors involved in determining the amount and type of spousal support include:
- The earning capacity, obligations, needs and financial resources of each party
- The duration of the marriage
- The standard of living established during the marriage
- The age and mental condition of each party
- The division of marital property
Stephen L. Gilly is committed to carefully examining all of these factors and designing a spousal support agreement that is effective and fair. He is a skilled negotiator but also an aggressive and effective litigator who can successfully fight for the spousal support you deserve.
Kingsport spousal support attorney advocates for you
The lawyers at Gilly, Hill and Schaefer are skilled in alimony in north east Tennessee. Located in Kingsport, we serve clients throughout north east Tennessee and Virginia. Call us at [ln::phone] to arrange for a free initial consultation, or contact us online.